Are you a fan of the popular 'squeaky cheese' but don't have any grilled halloumi recipes for yourself? Do not fear as we show you some of the tastiest recipes to cook it to perfection.
Halloumi is a quasi-cheese that tastes like a cross among feta and mozzarella and therefore is comparable to Queso Para Frier or paneer cheese. It is semi-hard and salted, but it's produced from a combination of goats and sheep's milk. It's a typical dish in Lebanon that comes from Cyprus. It's a salty, moderately hard cheese that hasn't been fully ripened.
Halloumi cheese that has been grilled is a speciality. The outside is nicely browned and crunchy. The inside is soft and buttery, with a deliciously savoury taste. It's a grilled cheese that is magical.
What Is The Best Way To Cook Halloumi To Perfection?
Simply sauté slices of Halloumi on a clean non-stick deep fryer. There's no need for oil or butter, and dry-frying the cheese helps produce a wonderful crispy brown crust on the exterior while the interior remains soft and mushy, ideal for tossing into a salad.
Halloumi is a kind of cheese that may be cooked in a variety of ways. Roast halloumi pieces in an oven-safe dish with some vegetable or olive oil as well as spices or herbs drizzled on top. In an oven, it'll take approximately 15-17 minutes. While baking, the Halloumi absorbs the flavours, making it a simple method to add more chewiness to the recipes.
Halloumi is a great grilling cheese. To keep the Halloumi from adhering to the plates, coat it with some oil on the exterior and grill it immediately over a high direct flame. To give a bit additional punch, season the cheese before grilling. See below for our grilled halloumi recipe.
Ingredients for grilled halloumi recipe
- 250 gm of Halloumi Cheese
- 1-2 tablespoons of vegetable or olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- Garlic powder
- Smoked paprika
- Crushed pepper
Directions For The Recipe
- Step 1: The first step is to cut the halloumi slab into thick pieces using a sharp knife.
- Step 2: Drizzle both surfaces of the slices with vegetable or olive oil and add all the desired seasoning such as cumin, pepper, garlic powder, and smoked paprika.
- Step 3: Preheat a greased roasting rack in medium heat for 6 minutes. If you don't have a roasting pan, an ordinary nonstick skillet can suffice. However, the grilled cheese will lack the grilled markings.
- Step 4: In the skillet, add the cheese slices (work in batches if required). Cook for 3-5 minutes on each side, or until toasted and crunchy. Serve right away.
- When you cook your Halloumi, it will begin to smoke. You need not be frightened; there's nothing wrong with it. Simply open the windows, switch on a vent, or switch on a fan.
- Like the cheese heats, this should mellow but not melt since no water should escape. To verify its texture and smoothness, stab it with a spoon or spatula.
How to Store The Leftover Halloumi?
This grilled halloumi recipe is best eaten right after it is prepared. Storing leftovers is similar to preserving a grilled cheese sandwich. Once you reheat this in the oven, it will be somewhat consumable. However, it will not taste as wonderful as when served fresh.
If necessary, store the leftovers inside an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Then, reheat them in the oven on 70% power for a minute or two, or consume them chilled.
What Goes Best With Halloumi?
Lemon appears to be among the most excellent halloumi cheese complements. The tanginess of the lemon is powerful enough to counteract the saltiness. Unfortunately, this also draws out minute halloumi's flavour.
Like lemon, Mint is aromatic and provides fresh flavour, making it an excellent match for Halloumi's salinity. The mint flavour would indeed enhance the cheese's flavour. Unfortunately, many halloumi types are now made only for the sake of taste. For a stronger mint flavour, add extra mint leaves to the halloumi dishes.
Watermelon is a typical complement to Halloumi in Cyprus, and people may not have attempted it with Halloumi previously. It's frequently offered either brunch or dessert in the summertime. It's also deliciously fried or even as a component of a salad or as an appetizer.
Halloumi is delightfully balanced with the rich taste of the sweetness of honey. Simply add a layer to the Halloumi using honey before cooking until browned and crispy, then serve with extra honey drizzled on top. Alternatively, add honey as the foundation for a delectable sauce or marinade to go with the Halloumi.
Pomegranate pairs very well with Halloumi, not just because of the flavour difference but also because of the incredible texture distinction. A bite of silky Halloumi with a delicious burst of juicy and fresh pomegranate is nearly as good as it gets.
Halloumi is an excellent non-veg alternative since it is pretty filling, which is also a good source of protein for vegetarianism. Grilled veggies such as Bell pepper, onion, aubergine, mushroom, or squash go nicely with Halloumi. You won't be missing the meat if you make a lovely veggie stacking or scrumptious halloumi-vegetable recipe.
Some Additional Halloumi Recipe
- Halloumi Omelette- It is used for adding creamy cheeses in or on top of the omelettes. However, chunks of Halloumi give the grilled omelette a good sturdiness.
- Halloumi Fries- Halloumi fries are a big favourite among many youngsters, and it's easy to understand why. These irresistible snacks are very simple to create, with some spice and a cold seasoning cream.
- Halloumi Pie- Cyprus and the Mideast manage to enjoy the charms of gooey filo dough with freshly made halloumi pie. Fully prepared packets are convenient to use and supply enough pastry for numerous meals. As a meatless main dish, these thick halloumi chunks with nutty flavour are ideal.
- Pomegranate Molasses Glazed Halloumi- The Lebanese halloumi delicacy shows how a thick, sugary glaze can genuinely bring the cheeses to like. Pomegranate syrup is a rich, creamy pomegranate marmalade that's wonderful for adding texture, zest, and sweetness to foods.
Final Thoughs On Grilled Halloumi Recipes
Now that you've got some super tasty grilled halloumi recipes, be sure to let us know how you get on concocting your own! Check out our recipe section too for some delicious ideas to pair with your grilled halloumi.